Barcelona, November 15, 2020.- Alibaba, together with Amazon, is one of the technological giants of electronic commerce, today and tomorrow. Its logistics innovations are of interest because they advance future processes in transportation and the supply chain. The Economist has published the following report on the logistics operator Alibaba.
The Economist: Demand forecasting is one of the main drivers of efficiency within Cainiao’s logistics network, especially during massive online retail events. Instead of stocking every purchasable item across more than 230 warehouses or shipping items out only after a confirmed purchase, the Alibaba logistics affiliate, Cainiao, engages machine learning and predictive analytics to pre-stock specific popular items days, or even weeks, in advance.
Multi-faceted big data from specific geographic locations, when combined with online interactions, can show purchasing behaviours based on time, events and conditions across different customer profiles and segments. These insights empower the merchants and help to predict what and how much goods to pre-stock in certain warehouses based on their proximity to the customers to further shave off delivery time.
This data-based predictive system leads to faster, more efficient inventory turnover and reduces shipping cost and time. Demand forecasting has proven to be accurate enough to work not just at the country level, but down to the province level in China as well.
Here on, Cainiao’s cross-border parcels are all managed by the Global Smart Delivery Platform (GSDP), a technology platform that integrates the entire value chain from merchants, warehousing and dispatch to international shipping and last-mile delivery partners and personnel.
Cainiao’s smart warehouses operate with unprecedented efficiency thanks to the adoption of the Internet of Things (IoT), which streamlines operations and enables automated guided vehicles (AGV) and staff to work together seamlessly. Each warehouse features about 500 AGVs that help to move parcels for warehouse employees, who then carry out relevant sorting and distribution.
These self-driving vehicles save warehouse staff about 50,000 footsteps each day, thus increasing efficiency by 30%. Each warehouse staff is also armed with an IoT-enabled device that tags, scans and tracks all incoming and outgoing items quickly—even the missing ones—throughout the warehouse in real time.
Each outgoing parcel is then affixed with an e-shipping label, which allows Cainiao’s network of over 3,000 logistics partners to accurately track millions of deliveries across the entire logistics value chain, from first and last mile to cross-border shipments.
In China, Cainiao has achieved a shipping accuracy of 99.9+%, which translates to US$100 million in cost savings annually. Cainiao has also partnered with 30 customs clearance facilities and adopted various digital customs clearance solutions to facilitate cross-border deliveries.
Lastly, a combination of IoT-enabled smart lockers, delivery robots and over three million couriers complete the final stretch of delivery. To receive their parcels, shoppers within China can either visit one of over 80,000 Cainiao Post stations or rely on autonomous delivery robots—all completely contactless.
However, where the human touch is required, Cainiao also works with more than three million courier personnel to facilitate doorstep deliveries. These courier personnel have access to Cainiao’s smart routing system, which charts the best delivery routes to reduce distance, cost and travel time, as well as to improve the accuracy of estimated delivery timings.
E-commerce is blurring geographical boundaries in our increasingly globalised world. This means that customers now have access to a wider range of goods than ever before. In the midst of the e-commerce boom, Cainiao, too, has evolved with the times.
Seven years after its founding, Cainiao now has the capacity to process more than 100 million parcels every day. In 2019, Cainiao processed nearly 1.3 billion orders during the 11.11 Global Shopping Festival, with a global logistics network spanning 224 countries and regions.
With the steady rise of cross-border trade and e-commerce, Cainiao will continue to invest in technologies and drive digital transformation within the industry. The goal is to streamline the logistics value chain and deliver goods to its global customers within just 72 hours. Ultimately, “Delivering the world to you” will no longer be just a vision, but a reality soon to be made possible by a global smart logistics platform.
- Procter & Gamble warns Of Higher Supply Chain Costs
- Suez Canal Sets New Record for Traffic Volume
- UK urgently needs 5,000 truck drivers to solve supply problems in products such as gasoline
- Top chief information officers are focusing on cloud technology, AI and data, and their relationship with the C-suite
- AndSoft will present, during the Paris SITL, an improved software for European sustainable transport and our contribution to the digital transformation of the sector
- China-EU freight train volume up 8% in July, boosting supply-chain stability
- The 6G mobile communications network will be the definitive technological impulse for the logistics and transport industry
- Interesting: State Logistics 2021
- What will be the role of freight transport in smart cities?
- Volocopter And DB Schenker Announce First Blueprint For VoloDrone Operations
- Sustainable logistics: Walmart will reduce CO2 emissions from the transport fleets from its suppliers
- After 100 days withheld: Ever Given, ship that blocked Suez Canal, sets sail after deal signed
- Prices to ship containers from Asia to the U.S. and Europe are rising at a historic pace as cargo owners
- European Partnership to make Zero-Emission Waterborne Transport a reality before 2050
- The importance of tracking deliveries for a purchase in constant digital transformation
- Keys 2021: The Situation of Freight Transport in South Africa
- Wall Street Journal: Why the global chip shortage is hard to overcome
- Competitive advantages of an integrated logistics management
- USA: Scarcity of pallets and large increase in prices throughout 2021
- Freight train trips between China and Europe soared 70 percent on a yearly basis to 3,345 rides in the first quarter of this year
- Transport + Drone: Test with loads of 100 kg
- Business to business trade activity grew by 10% in the first quarter of 2021, but a recent surge in order volumes is creating fresh challenges for suppliers
- Big data presents supply chain and warehouse managers with an unprecedented opportunity to acquire real-time visibility of goods in transit and part of inventory
- Russian airship manufacturer Aerosmena is to launch its lenticular-shaped 600 tonne payload airship in 2024
- Post-pandemic reflection: Out-of-stock stores in cities?
- Import / export segmentation between China and Europe, supply chains and modes of transport
- 77% of surveyed manufacturers have implemented an IIoT solution, with 20% more planning to do so
- Urgent Video Tutorial on Lean Six Sigma
- How do I digitize my transportation company ?>>>> Transportation Management Systems (TMS)
- Chaine du froid connectée : le défi de la synergie des solutions