Barcelona, November 15, 2020.- Alibaba, together with Amazon, is one of the technological giants of electronic commerce, today and tomorrow. Its logistics innovations are of interest because they advance future processes in transportation and the supply chain. The Economist has published the following report on the logistics operator Alibaba.
The Economist: Demand forecasting is one of the main drivers of efficiency within Cainiao’s logistics network, especially during massive online retail events. Instead of stocking every purchasable item across more than 230 warehouses or shipping items out only after a confirmed purchase, the Alibaba logistics affiliate, Cainiao, engages machine learning and predictive analytics to pre-stock specific popular items days, or even weeks, in advance.
Multi-faceted big data from specific geographic locations, when combined with online interactions, can show purchasing behaviours based on time, events and conditions across different customer profiles and segments. These insights empower the merchants and help to predict what and how much goods to pre-stock in certain warehouses based on their proximity to the customers to further shave off delivery time.
This data-based predictive system leads to faster, more efficient inventory turnover and reduces shipping cost and time. Demand forecasting has proven to be accurate enough to work not just at the country level, but down to the province level in China as well.
Here on, Cainiao’s cross-border parcels are all managed by the Global Smart Delivery Platform (GSDP), a technology platform that integrates the entire value chain from merchants, warehousing and dispatch to international shipping and last-mile delivery partners and personnel.
Cainiao’s smart warehouses operate with unprecedented efficiency thanks to the adoption of the Internet of Things (IoT), which streamlines operations and enables automated guided vehicles (AGV) and staff to work together seamlessly. Each warehouse features about 500 AGVs that help to move parcels for warehouse employees, who then carry out relevant sorting and distribution.
These self-driving vehicles save warehouse staff about 50,000 footsteps each day, thus increasing efficiency by 30%. Each warehouse staff is also armed with an IoT-enabled device that tags, scans and tracks all incoming and outgoing items quickly—even the missing ones—throughout the warehouse in real time.
Each outgoing parcel is then affixed with an e-shipping label, which allows Cainiao’s network of over 3,000 logistics partners to accurately track millions of deliveries across the entire logistics value chain, from first and last mile to cross-border shipments.
In China, Cainiao has achieved a shipping accuracy of 99.9+%, which translates to US$100 million in cost savings annually. Cainiao has also partnered with 30 customs clearance facilities and adopted various digital customs clearance solutions to facilitate cross-border deliveries.
Lastly, a combination of IoT-enabled smart lockers, delivery robots and over three million couriers complete the final stretch of delivery. To receive their parcels, shoppers within China can either visit one of over 80,000 Cainiao Post stations or rely on autonomous delivery robots—all completely contactless.
However, where the human touch is required, Cainiao also works with more than three million courier personnel to facilitate doorstep deliveries. These courier personnel have access to Cainiao’s smart routing system, which charts the best delivery routes to reduce distance, cost and travel time, as well as to improve the accuracy of estimated delivery timings.
E-commerce is blurring geographical boundaries in our increasingly globalised world. This means that customers now have access to a wider range of goods than ever before. In the midst of the e-commerce boom, Cainiao, too, has evolved with the times.
Seven years after its founding, Cainiao now has the capacity to process more than 100 million parcels every day. In 2019, Cainiao processed nearly 1.3 billion orders during the 11.11 Global Shopping Festival, with a global logistics network spanning 224 countries and regions.
With the steady rise of cross-border trade and e-commerce, Cainiao will continue to invest in technologies and drive digital transformation within the industry. The goal is to streamline the logistics value chain and deliver goods to its global customers within just 72 hours. Ultimately, “Delivering the world to you” will no longer be just a vision, but a reality soon to be made possible by a global smart logistics platform.
- Post-pandemic reflection: Out-of-stock stores in cities?
- Import / export segmentation between China and Europe, supply chains and modes of transport
- 77% of surveyed manufacturers have implemented an IIoT solution, with 20% more planning to do so
- Urgent Video Tutorial on Lean Six Sigma
- How do I digitize my transportation company ?>>>> Transportation Management Systems (TMS)
- Chaine du froid connectée : le défi de la synergie des solutions
- Maersk announced it plans to launch the world’s first carbon-neutral liner vessel in 2023, which will have a methanol engine
- The electrification of mobility accelerates and rushes the first official deadlines
- Logistics Management: The #logistics keys to face the uncertainties of the different economic sectors
- FitchRatings: Different modes of transport in Europe will recover at unique rates
- Forbes: Advantages of Integrating Artificial Intelligence with Business Management Software
- Innovation of an intermodal rail solution for Kraft Heinz products in Europe
- The British Ports Association: “The UK is definitely leaving the EU’s Customs Union and Single Market which means major changes for cross border trade”
- Amazon is buying 11 used Boeing 767-300 jets from Delta and WestJet, the first time it has bought rather than leased
- Gartner: IT RoadMap for #Cibersecurity
- Lockdown of Thousands of Truckers in Dover: Heroes, resilience
- 10 recommendations to automate your warehouse, today: Technological and human
- Maritime transport between Asia and Europe increases its prices by 25%
- Let’s talk about the management of emotions in the #transportation and #logistics sector
- As the logistics arm of Alibaba’s ecosystem, Cainiao has introduced several cutting-edge technologies throughout its network
- Asia and the Pacific countries have made great efforts to maintain their ports operational while protecting transport and port workers
- Success stories of the implementation of artificial intelligence in #logistics, #transportation, #supplychain
- #Coronavirus #EU: Commission lists key steps for effective vaccination strategies and vaccines deployment
- IRU: #COVID-19 border restrictions: lessons to learn
- #Covid19: Estimated 18% average decline in annual turnover for goods transported by road
- Amazon Prime Air: Who will lead the delivery of packages through drones?
- Commission announces actions to make Europe’s raw materials supply more secure and sustainable
- How to #disinfect your #warehouse to prevent the spread of Coronavirus #Covid19?
- The Chinese Railway 2035: Systems for speedy logistics will also be completed to strengthen domestic goods delivery within three days at most
- Time to innovate in the transport of goods: placing value generating electricity highways